Recently I have came across a thing called Elm. It is a functional programming language dedicated to frontend.
About language itself
- Functional language
- You will not have to worry about state mutations
- No runtime errors. I’ll just leave that here
- Friendly and helpful community. Go to slack, try talking - not only you will get your answers - but community will make you feel part of it
- Simplicity. You have this simple architecture emerging from language itself. More about it here - The Elm Architecture
A lot to gain by learning
Instant new brain power to think in Types while coding - f(x) transforms my x to f(x) - while it sounds to simple - this new ability almost instantly made all code produced by me with less side
Trying with simple app
It has one purpose - show how old are you with millisecond accuracy. Imagine your age here - quite a kick to stop procrastinating.
While coding - a part where I needed to get current time was more difficult since it involves something that cannot be gained in a pure way. Not enough documentation on this, however Slack community together with SO answers solved the issue.
You can observe how Elm’s code looks here - github
- Thinking in types makes development easier
- Coding frontend without runtime errors is relaxing
- Easy to understand architecture keeps things simple
Elm is cool - try it!
If you have any suggestions - I am eagerly waiting for feedback. https://benetis.me/old/posts/contact-me/